This will be the second MOGISCON conference with a totally digital map contest! Entries will be displayed during the Vendor Reception and throughout the conference as a rotating slideshow. All presenters submitting a map to the contest should be available from 6:00 pm – 7:00 pm during the reception to answer questions from other attendees. Maps must be in PDF format and a size of 60mb or less. Any subject is acceptable as long as GIS is used in some form as part of the digital map.
Maps will be judged and ranked based on the following criteria:
- CONCEPT AND ORIGINALITY: This criterion considers how innovative the map is. How much of the work is borrowed from the work of others? Are there many maps just like it?
- CARTOGRAPHIC DESIGN: This criterion considers artistic merit, cartographic presentation, clarity of communication, and the quality of graphic composition.
- OTHER CONSIDERATIONS:
- Accuracy, grammar, punctuation, spelling
- Design/Layout -logical organization and visual flow of text and graphics
- Legibility -text font, text size, figures, tables, and graphics
- Visual Appeal -color coordination, geometry, accents, highlights, use of symbology
- Effective communication -understandable and concise
- Effective use of Geographic Information -appropriate use and portrayal of spatial data
- Originality -unique presentation
- Note: Limited to one entry per person – MGISAC and MOGISCON reserve the right to display any digital map entries on our websites, social media pages, or promotional items.
Questions or problems submitting your map? Contact: Joe Carter, Senior GIS Specialist, MoDOT, email@example.com